Sunday, September 18, 2011

Why Don't People Like Art?


Well Hello.
This would be my first personal blog. But I will say that I've written many-a-blogs in my day. I completed my internship at MASS MoCA in June and now I'm working for Eastern Michigan University Theatre. Both jobs require(d) me to blog blog blog blog blog. So why not start my own eh?

This semester I have finally completed EVERY single gen ed requirement and all of my courses are for my major, which is Arts Management (I also have minors in Marketing and Theatre Communications. Woo!)

As a part of my minor, I decided to take a course called Sports and Events Marketing, taught by Professor Sam Fullerton. I figured, "Why not? We're both selling the same concept - Entertainment as a service." The only difference, I have found, are the numbers. As I'm reading the book for class, I see stats that tell me that sports are the 11th largest industry in the U.S. I realize that they DO have a pretty outstanding merchandise platform and practically built-in loyalty, but how are they able to sell out events on a regular basis? Arts orgs are pretty much happy with any attendance they get!

But why? I asked my beloved Mother and she said, "Well...not everyone can paint or act. But basically anyone can grab a basketball and shoot a couple hoops." My Mom is right. And that is just wrong.

But she brings up a good point.  Do people really think they CAN'T draw? or dance? or craft? I mean...I totally understand feeling a little shown up when you're standing in front of a Renoir or watch a youtube video of Martha Graham, but why does this scare people? Shouldn't it inspire them? But I suppose I understand. Fortunately, my family is fairly athletic so I have an appreciation for sports. However, if I asked my theatre friends to "shoot some hoops" or go to an EMU Football game, they'd look at me like I was insane. (Note: But pretty much anyone would go to a Red Wings or Tigers game...I mean...Let's get real.)

But why does the high school football team - who barely won a third of their season - get a new field and the drama club - who brings home state trophies - not even have a working drinking fountain in the green room? (What? I'm not bitter.)


...I don't have an exact solution for this dilemma, that's why I'm going to school. But sometimes it's good to read let these things out. We all know it. So someone needs to say it. Well here you have it: SPORTS GET MORE ATTENTION THAN THE ARTS. There.


I believe the solution to the problem (if the problem is addressed from an arts administrative stand-point) begins with education. I believe if elementary and secondary education can genuinely excite children and invite them into the arts community - they will beg their parents until - they too are passionate about the arts. Sports can be a huge part of family tradition, and that is where consumer habits form.


Now let me clarify something...Yes. My future job is in the arts. And yes, I most certainly want to earn a living off of my career. But my concerns have nothing to do with the bottom line. My choice in my education is deeply rooted in my belief that our existence could simply not function without the arts.


I will stifle this tangent for a future blog. I have many thoughts and opinions about the arts and I am always searching for the thoughts an opinions of others.


Comments are (obviously) more than welcomed. Keep reading =]

No comments:

Post a Comment